Young Artist Competition
The Angel City Jazz Young Artist Competition is an avenue for young Jazz musicians in the greater Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of Jazz composition/arrangement, improvisation and ensemble performance.
The competition is open to all qualifying artists regardless of their gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, economic status and political or religious affiliation.
In order to qualify for the competition you must:
- lead and/or be part of a music ensemble consisting of 3 to 10 LA County based Jazz musicians between the ages of 16 and 24 years old. This age restriction applies to all ensemble members at the time of your submission,
- compose, arrange and perform original music for your ensemble which features improvisation as understood within a Jazz context. There are no stylistic restrictions as long as the music includes improvisational elements as an integral part of its performance.
- have the ability to produce a high quality recording of your music performed by your ensemble to be included in your submission.
- be available to perform with your ensemble at the competition finals on Sunday October 6, 2024 if selected as a finalist. Venue and exact time TBD.
- be available to perform with your ensemble at LACMA at 7pm on Friday October 11 if selected as the winning ensemble
The submitted music will be evaluated by a panel of Jazz professionals based on the following criteria:
- Dynamics & Balance
- Emotion (going beyond the notes)
- Quality of the improvised sections
- Quality of Ensemble interactions
- Quality and originality of compositions
- Quality of the arrangements